The Amsoil vs. Mobil 1 is a hot debate for synthetic motor oil brands. Synthetic oil became popular among car owners because it protects the engine of their vehicles because of its lower level of friction.
According to AAA, “the synthetic oil outperformed the conventional oil, offering vehicles significantly better protection of the engine.”
Hence, the quality of the oil you put in your engine matters. Amsoil and Mobil are two of the most popular brands for synthetic oil that are both trusted names.
For this reason, this article will help you to identify which synthetic oil brand offers better performance for the engine. Choosing the right synthetic oil for your vehicle will help you avoid potential engine wear and tear, resulting in a longer-lasting car. So, keep on reading!
Amsoil is the first and one of the leading synthetic oil manufacturers in America. It has provided quality lubricants to the automotive industry since 1972 by developing new products and sourcing oils from worldwide.
Additionally, they manufacture their oil products by using the base stock oil technology that they own. For this reason, they outperformed the conventional oil products as they reduced the level of friction and heat of the oil to the engine.
Most of the oil consumers preferred Amsoil as they seek oil with maximum protection for their engine. Amsoil provides its consumers with a satisfaction guarantee to back up the preference they offer them.
Moreover, Amsoil went beyond the standard performance of the global oil industry. Also, they met the requirements needed for international and domestic vehicle engines.
The Amsoil brand is committed to continuously improving its products to protect the engine of the vehicles of its consumers. Plus, you may use their oil with other synthetic and conventional products.
Pros of Amsoil
With the vast years of experience, Amsoil company can provide you the following benefits that you may not find in others:
- Heat reduction. This brand doesn’t evaporate as quickly as conventional oil products. Amsoil’s synthetic oils resist high-temperature volatility that increases the heat reduction of these products.
- It increased shear strength. Amsoil oil reaches up to 3 000 psi shear strength, higher than the 800 psi strength of conventional oils. For this reason, Amsoil’s synthetic oil maintains the operating temperature and conditions normal of your engine due to its high-shear strength.
- Longer drain intervals. The upside of having extended breaks is it reduces the environmental damage, downtime, wastage, and oil cost. Amsoil ensures extended drain intervals for its longer service life compared to petroleum lubricants.
- Less oil consumption. Amsoil synthetic oil is more efficient and saves you money in the long run. The reason behind it is that their lubricants don’t evaporate and boil even with a high temperature in the environment.
- Reduced oxidation. Amsoil oil is resistant to oxidation, which means it doesn’t break down easily and can last longer. Compare Amsoil with petroleum-based lubricant products that are more likely to break down due to its high additives.
- Better mileage. Because of its low level of friction, Amsoil synthetic lubricant provides better mileage. Also, this company developed its product to reduce intra-lubricant drag that benefits the lubricating system.
- It maintains fluidity at cold temperatures. Amsoil synthetic oil is designed to withstand freezing temperatures, which helps maintain fluidity even with -75°F. So, you may easily start your engine under cold weather.
- Better filtration properties. Compared to other brands, Amsoil has higher filtration properties, which means it keeps impurities from damaging your engine. Amsoil also ensures the protection of your oil due to its quality that resists contamination in high-pressure conditions.
- Has an extensive product line to choose from. Amsoil offers a wide range of products for different types and brands of vehicles. Also, you can find coolants and fuel additives that are applicable for industrial, commercial, and consumer use.
Cons of Amsoil
Despite its promising benefits, Amsoil has still downsides, such as the following:
- Higher cost. Amsoil synthetic oil is more expensive than other brands. But because of its premium prices, it offers some discounts for consumers that reached quotas.
- A limited number of retailers. Amsoil’s products are not available in many retail giant outlets around the country. You may only purchase Amsoil through their website.
Best of Amsoil
Amsoil Signature Series Synthetic Motor 5W-20
This synthetic oil is one of Amsoil’s most popular products. It has a higher shear strength and maintains its viscosity in high-temperature conditions, making it the best one for your engine. Plus, it is formulated to resist oxidation in your vehicle and neutralize acids.
- Cooldowns your engine
- High resistance against rust and corrosion
- Ensures cleaner engine
- High shear stability
- Extended change intervals
- It is not American Petroleum Institute
This brand is the maker of the first globally available full synthetic motor oil. Mobil 1 is a popular synthetic oil manufacturer that serves the industry for more than 40 years.
This company offers motor oil that protects your engine from wear and was originally released to enhance fuel-efficiency safely in the early 1960s. It can also ensure the quality of its oil despite the wide range of temperatures.
More so, the Mobil 1 motor oil prevents the build-up of dirt and debris in your engine. This factor can lead to the expansion of the lifespan of your vehicle.
In the year 2017, they introduced their ultimate full synthetic automotive motor oil. This motor oil is proven to give protection to your engine for a year before getting oil changes.
Additionally, some brands use Mobil 1 as the factory-filled oil, such as Mercedes, Nissan, Chevrolet, and Porsche. Plus, this oil brand is also suitable for those old car models and trucks.
Pros of Mobil 1
For its more than 40 years of providing quality synthetic oil, this brand offers you the following benefits:
- Annual Oil. The Mobil 1 oil assures you of oil protection for one year or 20,000 miles before you need an oil change. It became possible because of the antioxidants, anti-wear additives, viscosity index improvers, detergents, and defoaming additives.
- Patented Formula. It has a patented formula that provides the engine with better protection against wear, corrosion, and deposits at low or high temperatures. This benefit can help you to keep your engine as a new one.
- Boost Engine Performance. The Mobil 1 synthetic oil is capable of boosting your engine performance as it prevents harmful sludge. For this reason, it will keep your engine clean for longer, towards better performance.
- They improved Frictional Properties. Unlike conventional oils, the molecules in Mobil 1 synthetic oil are consistent in size to reduce friction in your engine. Also, less internal conflict in your engine helps the engine to last longer.
Cons of Mobil 1
Aside from benefits, you also need to know the drawbacks of Mobil 1 oils:
- It is not suggested to use on aviation engines or 2-cycles unless it is specifically allowed by the engine manufacturer.
- You still have to buy an extended performance filter.
- It is only recommended mostly for the vehicles that drive on highways.
Best of Mobil 1
Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil
This formulation of Mobil 1 is designed to protect your engine so that you may drive up to 10 000 miles before changing your oil. It lubricates the metal components of your vehicle to avoid its wearing.
Additionally, it can reduce impurities by avoiding the build-up of sludge and deposit. This factor helps to remove things that restrict the flow of the oil and reduce horsepower.
- Maintain oxidation stability and thermal even in hot temperature
- Improve resiliency
- Lubricate metal components of the engine to avoid wear and tear
- Maintain viscosity even the temperature drops to -30 degrees
- Good choice for modern vehicles, such as turbocharged and diesel engines
- It is not an excellent choice for models with old engines.
Amsoil vs. Mobil 1: Detailed Comparison
You may still be wondering what’s the difference between Amsoil vs. Mobil 1. Before purchasing your next engine oil, you have to differentiate the two and do not get overwhelmed with the similarities of these brands.
So, here are the factors that differentiate the Amsoil and Mobil 1:
The miles per gallon (MPG) is one of the key indicators of the quality of engine oil. Remember, the oil that has higher MGP is more efficient to lubricate your vehicle.
In line with this, Amsoil has a better fuel economy compared to Mobil 1 oil. Amsoil is better in retaining oil viscosity that increases fuel economy.
More so, Amsoil can provide from 1.5 up to 3.5 MPG more than the Mobil 1 can. So, the Amsoil is for you if you want an oil that can offer you more mileage.
Another factor that you should check is the effectiveness of the brand in protecting your engine from wearing and tearing. Amsoil is better in this aspect than Mobil 1.
Amsoil offers 75% more protection of the engine against wear and horsepower loss than Mobil 1. Hence, get Amsoil if you want your vehicle to last longer and enjoy a great performance from its engine.
Heat and Cold Performance
It would help to consider the performance of engine oil when it comes to heat and cold temperatures exposure. In this aspect, Mobil 1 and Amsoil have their strength depending on the weather condition.
Mobil 1 oil outperformed Amsoil when it comes to extremely hot weather temperatures. Meanwhile, for the colder temperature, Amsoil has better performance.
Therefore, consider the weather conditions of your place or destinations when you are choosing between Amsoil and Mobil 1.
What factors should you look for in synthetic oil?
One of the essential factors in selecting oil is the pricing. Take note; the best synthetic oil is the one that fulfills your needs and is suitable for your budget range. After all, expensive oils are not always superior to others.
Additionally, you have to know the performance of your car to know what it needs. Plus, check the following features that the oil brand offers:
- This factor dictates how the oil pours easily based on a specific temperature.
- Check first the needs of your vehicle’s conditions, then look for the list of particular applications that the oil offers on its label.
- Compatibility with existing brands. Another aspect to check is if your potential full synthetic engine oil brand works well with other types of oil.
- Additives. Again, check the condition of your car to determine the additives you need for your synthetic engine oil.
Is Amsoil worth the money?
With the expensive cost of Amsoil, you can guarantee better protection and performance of your engine. Also, you may use this brand for various vehicles, such as trucks and racing cars.
Additionally, the Amsoil synthetic oil works well even in extreme temperatures. Plus, it is better in resisting change in viscosity compared to other brands. Therefore, Amsoil is worthy of your penny as it can expand the lifespan of your engine.
When should I change the Mobil 1 synthetic oil of my car?
The deciding factor of whether you should change your Mobil 1 synthetic oil depends on how you drive and where you drive your vehicle. For instance, changing the synthetic oil at 18,000 miles is recommended if you drive your car in a high-performance environment.
Take note; you may change oil at 20 000 miles with the Mobil 1 Annual Protection Ultimate Full Synthetic.
Final Thoughts: Amsoil Better Than Mobil 1?
In the Amsoil vs. Mobil 1 debate, the suitable oil for your vehicle depends on your temperature, change intervals, budget range, and driving environment. Mobil 1 offers various synthetic oil types, while the Amsoil is more expensive to assure quality engine oil.
Remember, do not get overwhelmed with smooth and sweet talks of the brands to find the best oil for your smooth drive. Always check what you need. Use this article as your guide when you buy your engine oil.