The engine is the heart of every automobile, and engine oil is undoubtedly the blood that gives it life and makes it roar under all conditions. The best oil makes sure that your engine’s parts are well lubricated to perform effectively.
Hence, when one says your vehicle is well taken care of, it doesn’t mean the body is flashy, but it’s alive and purring. Engine oil prevents engine diseases, as curing its spare parts would be an expensive affair.
Reading articles like this will educate you that oils are made of additives designed to protect your engine from wear and tear, which greatly impacts how well your car performs. With so many choices and conflicting information, it can be hard to know what’s best for your engine.
But when it comes to the debate between Amsoil vs. Royal Purple, there are some things to consider. The following article will help you decide which engine oil is best for your vehicle!
Amsoil at Glances
Amsoil is well-known to most automotive owners due to its specialty products for car care. They can transform engine oil into various driveline, marine, and industrial lubricants that are extremely effective in their respective applications.
Amsoil has been making motor oil for almost 50 years. AMSOIL 10W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil was the world’s first synthetic motor oil to pass American Petroleum Institute specifications in 1972, prompting the firm to adopt the tagline “The First in Synthetics.”
Amsoil oils are very popular among truck drivers and work professionals. The reason is that they are concentrated with heating, anti-wear agents, and anti-corrosion ingredients.
Since Amsoil has been around for so long, it is an excellent choice. You’ll enjoy the extremely high value of quality that features the following.
- Maximum Corrosion Resistant: Amsoil engine oils are made to help prevent oxidation and provide the best resistance to oxidation and acid-caused corrosion of the surface of the engine.
- Stable at High Temperatures: Amsoil synthetic lubricants are exceptionally stable oils and do not evaporate even at extremely high temperatures.
- Fuel Economy: Since Amsoil is stable at high temperatures, it allows you to go longer between oil changes while saving time on maintenance.
The types of oils that Amsoil offers are synthetic, and synthetic-blend, meaning they all use synthetic components that are intended to perform well under high temperatures. Amsoil offers a proprietary formulation for each class of vehicles and these advantages.
- These oils are top-tier for cold temperatures, making them one of the best oils for winter.
- Because of their higher viscosity, it greatly extends the engine oil’s wear protection capability.
- Amsoil can resist changes in viscosity, allowing better lubrication for your engine under pressure.
- It enables the clutch to operate more efficiently and therefore increases its life.
There are only a few cons to using Amsoil engines oil. Some of these things to consider are;
- Amsoil will cost you extra money since synthetic oil is more costly than conventional oil. It is also more expensive than competing synthetic oils on the market.
- When combined with other oils, it performs poorly.
Royal Purple at Glances
Royal Purple was founded by John Williams in 1986, later acquired by Calumet Specialty Products Partners in 2012. With more than 35 years in business, Royal Purple has a long list of successes.
Royal Purple manufactures high-quality, high-performance engine oil with additives that help to prevent oil supply interruptions and premature engine wearing. They produce many different oils to offer to their customers.
A few of their key products are Royal Purple High-Performance Motor Oil, Duralec Ultra, Duralec Super, and Max Cycle.
When it comes to engine oil, Royal Purple is one of the best and safest engine oils. You can find some of the main features of this oil in the list below:
- Additive technology: It’s formulated to work with increased engine protection against wear and tear.
- Features as lubrication: The lubrication of Royal Purple engine oil helps keep your engine well lubricated by providing superior protection and protecting your engine against corrosion.
- Highly-Compatible: It is completely suitable to work with various synthetic and engine oils.
Royal Purple engine oil is formulated to help maintain the integrity of your engine to run efficiently and freely. While it preserves the life of your engine, Royal Purple oil offers a few added benefits as well.
- Effective at preventing corrosion on the engine.
- Durable and lasts longer than conventional oils.
- Royal Purple is much less expensive than Amsoil oil.
- Other oils are compatible with it.
- It has enhanced fuel economy, allowing you to drive longer miles before changing oil.
- Oil drain intervals that are longer than typical oils.
- Works well in high-temperature conditions that keep the engine from overheating.
- It enhances fluid consistency and viscosity rate for better lubrication.
Now that you know the good things about Royal Purple engine oil, let’s focus on the few negatives of this oil.
- More expensive than conventional oils.
- Some leaks are occasionally caused by packaging.
Amsoil vs. Royal Purple Bestseller
There are many different types of motor oils on the market. If you’re wondering whether Amsoil is better than Royal Purple, then we’ll compare their best seller products to determine the difference between these two popular oil brands.
Royal Purple High-Performance Synthetic Motor Oil ROY1520
Royal Purple’s best-seller, Royal Purple High-Performance Synthetic Motor Oil ROY1520, is a premium, synthetic motor oil brand that can help improve drivability and increase efficiency. Here are some of the oil’s benefits and drawbacks to help you decide if it’s right for you.
- Royal High-Performance synthetic motor oil is a synthetic lubricant that makes the lubricant more resistant to heat and friction, which means it will not drop as soon as your motor begins to heat up.
- It provides increased protection against acid-caused corrosion on the surface of your engine.
- It also has a higher viscosity, which helps prevent your engine from wearing out prematurely. It also prevents overheating, which is when oil quickly burns off, and the engine goes into an overheated condition, burning up its lubricant as it burns.
- It is suitable with most ethanol-containing motor oils.
- It can also provide excellent protection for both gasoline and diesel cars.
- It reduces fuel consumption.
- This oil is far more costly than its competitors.
- It is a high-profile aftermarket name. But that doesn’t necessarily translate to high-performing products because some customers claim that this synthetic oil makes little difference in performance.
Amsoil Signature Series 0W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil Quart
The Amsoil Signature Series 0W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil Quart has been one of the brand’s best-selling products in recent years. It’s simple to understand why this oil is so popular; it has a great reputation for offering smooth, predictable, and friction-free driving.
This oil is an excellent choice for high-performance or long-distance driving. Here are the advantages and disadvantages of this product to help you learn more about it.
- This synthetic motor oil is known for its ability to protect your motor in severe driving conditions.
- The formula uses a proprietary additive blend designed to resist heat and facilitate oil-cutting in today’s modern engines.
- It has characteristics that provide superior wear and tear resistance.
- This oil increases its viscosity, which translates into better engine performance and lower temperatures.
- Its outstanding cold flow characteristics make starting easier and decrease bearing wear.
- The synthetic oil helps clean the dirt and gunk in your engine, leaving it in good working order.
- The usage of the oil extends the intervals between oil drains. It resists oxidation and neutralizes the acids that reduce the service life of conventional oils.
- It is exceptionally shear-resistant.
- Just like any other synthetic oil, it is more pricey than conventional oils.
- The dark container makes determining how much oil to put in your engine difficult.
Royal Purple vs. Amsoil: 5 Oil Test Difference
You might think that oil is the same across the board, but you’d be wrong. There are many differences between companies that produce oil, and some of them can have a huge impact on your engine.
So which one should you choose? To figure out which oil you should use in your car, look at how Royal purple and Amsoil differ in these five tests.
- Four-Ball Wear Test: This test is used to assess the wear scar characteristics and coefficient of friction of lubricant oil, where the smaller the wear scar, the better the lubricant prevents wear.
Amsoil comes out on top with scar wear that is approximately 0.50 mm, while Royal Purple has a value that is very near to 1.40mm.
- \NOACK Instability Test: It is a commonly used standard test for evaluating lubricant evaporation loss, and engine oils must have a low evaporation rate for quality and environmental reasons.
According to the API SM motor oil standard, the maximum percent volatilization rate should be less than 15%; Amsoil has less than 8%, while Royal Purple has less than 10%.
- TEOST Test: This test mimics the influence of engine running circumstances on the oxidation and deposit-forming tendencies of engine oils, particularly in the high-temperature Turbocharger region. Still, Amazon emerges on top with a total deposit weight of 7.0 mg, whereas Royal Purple has 25.4 mg.
- Base Number Test: Measuring the Base Number (BN) can assist verify that the oil can protect the component from acid corrosion; it is greatest when it is new and diminishes as it is used. Amsoil has a greater BN of fewer than 14 units in this test, while Royal Purple only has less than 9.
- Cold Cranking Viscosity Test: Cold-cranking viscosity (CCS) is used to describe oil viscosity in crankshaft bearings during cold temperature startup. Amsoil has a better result with the lowest viscosity at -30°C, less than 4000, while Royal Purple has a higher viscosity, greater than 6000.
Is Royal Purple worth the money?
The expense of Royal Purple synthetic oil is well worth it. It is more costly than its counterparts because of the extensive research into developing it with a longer drain duration and resistance to oxidation and corrosion properties.
This synthetic oil contains cleaning qualities that aid in preventing deposits and keeps sludge from forming. It is also temperature resistant and does not evaporate in high temperatures, allowing your engine to have the essential lubrication.
What are the things to consider in choosing motor oil?
When choosing a motor oil, specifically a synthetic one, consider the pricing since a high price does not necessarily suggest the highest quality. Strive for the highest possible quality at the lowest possible price so that you can save a substantial amount of money.
Next, examine the thermal properties of the synthetic oil to ensure that it will not deteriorate at high temperatures. As a result, you’ll have better engine protection and longer oil drain intervals.
The viscosity of synthetic oil is also important to consider since it affects how it flows in the engine. It also influences how effectively the oil lubricates your engine when it starts.
Lastly, it should also be able to maintain your engine clean and healthy. As the oil flows through the engine, it should remove any deposits and keep sludge formation.
Do Amsoil provide better protection under extreme temperatures?
One advantage of using synthetic oils is using them at low temperatures, improving oil flow and lubrication during start-ups. Thermal characteristics are included in both Amsoil and Royal Purple synthetic oils.
But, Amsoil synthetic oil outperforms Royal Purple because its viscosity is rather high, enabling easy pumping at low temperatures. As a result, it lubricates the moving parts, reducing wear and tear.
More so, the oil does not evaporate at high temperatures and burns off, allowing longer oil drain intervals and saving money. It also protects your engine from oxidation and acid development, resulting in no corrosion of engine parts, extending its lifespan.
Is Amsoil good for high mileage cars?
Amsoil Premium Protection Motor Oil is high mileage, multi-functional, and protects against wear. Ideal for situations requiring the added protection of a higher-viscosity oil.
Also, it is ideal for older vehicles with heavy mileage and a high level of sludge. Amsoil XL Series detergents are designed for engines with more wear and carbon buildup with 25% more cleaning power to keep your engine running smoother.
If you’re a car enthusiast, you should look for the finest engine oil for your vehicle. It is reasonable to claim that in the Amsoil vs. Royal Purple discussion, they both pass engine oil testing.
More so, they can keep your engine clean and give engine wear prevention for over a year or 12000 miles between drain intervals.
Though they have some similarities, they have significant differences, as demonstrated by the five oil tests. Amsoil synthetic engine oil outperforms Royal Purple in all criteria, establishing a trustworthy brand for its price.